There’s a better way to work in finance—and more specifically, a better way to unlock value potential in private equity-backed portfolio companies. Working at the intersection of sponsors and management teams across every stage of the investment lifecycle, our team provides hands-on, execution-oriented support to elevate the office of the CFO.
So, what does it mean to work at Accordion? It means joining 1,000+ finance & technology experts in a high-growth, agile, and entrepreneurial environment while changing the way portfolio companies drive value. It also means making your mark on Accordion’s future—by embracing a culture rooted in collaboration and a firm-wide commitment to building something great, together.
Accordion is headquartered in New York City with 11 offices around the globe. Join us!
Operational & Technical Accounting
With the increase in complexity of the business environment and transactions, CFO’s of private equity backed companies are increasingly being looked towards to drive strategic insights for their business. Finance organizations are no longer simply result reporters, but rather, they couple these results with forward looking data to provide strategic insights which are leveraged to make business decisions. Efficiency of process and meaningful control environments allows for speed of financial reporting with increasingly accurate measures, leaving more time for the finance team to add future enterprise value, rather than look backwards.
Accordion’s O&T Practice is comprised of a dedicated team providing accounting and financial advice to support PE backed portfolio companies on a wide range of transactions and events, including Accounting Policies & Procedures, ERP/Financial System Execution, Financial Statement Close Process, Process & Controls Implementation, Technical Accounting, Finance/Accounting Assessment & Design and Finance & Accounting Organization Standup resulting from a Carve out or Merger transaction. We are doers and problem solvers – making sense of complexity and bolstering sponsors’ value creation thesis’s.
This position must be based in one of our office locations and is a hybrid role. Candidates will need to be local to the areas, with opportunities for remote work 2-3 days per week.
What You’ll Do:
- Work collaboratively with a diverse set of colleagues to serve clients in the areas of financial accounting matters and business processes:
- Prepare financial statements, typically in connection with acquisitions, carve-outs, proposed sale transactions, restatements, etc.
- Assist in the in the design and implementation of new accounting policies and procedures
- Assess and improve financial accounting close process; including accelerating and streamlining monthly and quarterly reporting processes
- Establish and document best-in-class financial and operational internal controls and/or assisting in controls remediation
- Assist with audit preparation
- Oversee and manage financial reporting and operational system implementations
- Assess and design finance and accounting organizational structure
- Bring a knowledge of reporting and/or operational accounting issues to engagements
- Act as the firm representative during client engagements
- Assist in growing the firm by supporting business development activities
- Identify and sponsor internal initiatives
Ideally, You Have:
- Minimum of 12+ years of relevant professional experience working in a client serving role at a top-tier public accounting or financial advisory firm, and/or mix of client service and private industry experience at the Controller level
- Proven experience successfully managing multiple projects at the same time, managing not only client/sponsor dynamics but internal team dynamics as well
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting or related field. CPA is a plus
- A strong and up-to date knowledge of US GAAP (exposure to IFRS is a plus), with deep technical understanding of topics such as ASC 606 revenue recognition, lease transactions, purchase accounting, etc.
- Experience preparing financial statements and drafting footnote disclosures. Experience with carve-outs and restatements is a plus
- Experience implementing and managing standardized costing methods within a business or manufacturing setting
- Practical knowledge and success in managing the separation of business units as it relates to carve-outs
- Experience performing financial and operational internal control reviews
- Knowledge of performing IT assessments and financial system implementation experience is a plus
- Experience working with Private Equity, with an understanding of the unique requirements of the Private Equity consulting environment
- Strong Excel and PowerPoint skills
- Strong client service mindset
Ideally, You Are:
- Excited to be part of a growing team, with a focus on driving future growth
- Experienced in advising clients on financial accounting issues
- Knowledgeable of complex financial accounting and operations issues
- Passionate about delivering exceptional client service
- Experienced in advising clients on financial and transformation initiatives
- Knowledgeable about the relationship between Private Equity sponsors and their portfolio companies, particularly within the office of the CFO
- Willing to get your hands dirty in the details of a project while simultaneously seeing the whole picture
- Comfortable managing projects with multiple complex workstreams while also focused on your single workstream (you are managing and doing)
- A self-starter with a strong work ethic
- Full of entrepreneurial spirit and comfortable in a fluid, flat organization
- Able to effectively communicate complex issues and solutions, and raise issues to senior team members when necessary
- A team player, able to work with team members across all levels
- Someone who enjoys mentoring others and doing meaningful work
- A leader of others; you lead by example
- Willing to travel according to client needs
Salary: $180,000 to $220,000 + benefits + bonus
Actual compensation packages are determined by evaluating a wide array of factors unique to each candidate, including but not limited to skill set, years and depth of experience, education, certifications, cost of labor and internal equity.
Accordion is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, marital status, age, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy, genetic information, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other status protected under federal, state, or local law.
Please note that as per Accordion policy, we do not accept unsolicited resumes from third-party recruiters unless such recruiters are engaged to provide candidates for a specified opening and in alignment with our inclusive diversity values. Any employment agency, person or entity that submits an unsolicited resume does so with the understanding that Accordion will have the right to hire that applicant at its discretion without any fee owed to the submitting employment agency, person or entity.
Apply for this Job
Something went wrong. Please check that you filled out all required fields and that your entries are valid.
In 2009, Accordion set out to prove that there was a better way to work in finance – and more specifically, a better way to unlock value potential in private equity portfolio companies. In the years since, our firm has grown into a bi-coastal team of 1000+ finance and technology professionals, serving nearly 300 of the world’s leading private equity firms out of offices in Atlanta, Boston, Charlotte, Chicago, Dallas, Detroit, Los Angeles, New York, San Francisco, and South Florida.
Our mission is to shape a new era in the private equity industry. Focusing exclusively on the office of the CFO of PE-backed companies, we’re committed to driving value creation through financial consulting services and portfolio operations technology.
So, what does it mean to work at Accordion? It means thriving in a high-growth, agile, and collaborative environment. It means changing the way private equity firms create value at their portfolio companies. And ultimately, it means making your mark on the firm’s future – by embracing a culture rooted in humility and a firm-wide commitment to building something great, together. Join us!