Building a Self-Service Data Analytics Platform & Fostering a Data-Driven Culture
A $1.5B home furnishings retailer and portfolio company of a $50B private equity fund required greater visibility into drivers of sales to enable real-time actionable insights. The complicating factors included: the existence of large amounts of data across disparate systems and the lack of common metric definitions. Accordion was tasked with the development and implementation of a company-wide self-service business intelligence and data analytics tool.
Big Data Analytics
Stakeholder Reporting & Strategic KPI Enhancement
Business Plan Reforecasting
- Worked closely with the Company’s FP&A, IT, merchandising, real estate, and e-commerce teams to develop a comprehensive framework and data infrastructure to analyze the root causes of sales performance.
- Ensured that this platform enabled employees across functions and departments to develop their own dashboards and insights – with the ability to drill into detail at the individual transaction and/or line item level, slicing by date & time, channel, geography, product, customer, and other dimensions.
- Met with management across functions to align on key metric and data definitions.
- Compiled and standardized master data tables for dimensions including corporate calendar, geography, products, customers, etc.
- Guided the internal IT team in the development of the SQL Server back-end to automate daily accumulation of transactional and related data, along with its subsequent transmission and transformation into the Power BI data model.
- Designed and coded the Power BI front-end (desktop, web, and mobile) through which teams could access data and metrics and create their own dashboards.
- Delivered the self-service business intelligence platform to management and helped train their teams on its use.
With Accordion’s assistance, the Company achieved their key objectives of developing a self-service data analytics platform and implementing a data driven methodology going forward. Our team created a written sales data model with interactive dashboard capabilities – which now serves as a single source of truth for the Company’s sales/revenue KPIs, drives timely fact-based decision making, and fosters a data-driven culture. We also developed a technical framework and strategic roadmap to expand the data model to all departments and functions company-wide.