Serving as CEO, Providing M&A Advisory and Buy-Side Integration Support, and Managing a Turnaround
A classic steakhouse brand with 13 restaurants in 12 states, was being marketed by a restaurant group in 2018 due to under performance and other portfolio priorities.
- Developed a detailed turnaround plan that clearly outlined and benchmarked initiatives for the acquired business segment to be successful through increased same-store sales growth driven by a new marketing strategy and incremental revenue streams to revitalize the brand’s position and recognition with the consumer while also reducing unit level operational costs and corporate administrative expenses – (using experience gained from our prior restaurant transactions) which concentrated on systems implementation and process refinement.
- Negotiated a transaction services agreement (“TSA”) to clearly outline timing and responsibilities of each party to successfully convert every aspect of the business from the seller onto the platform in only three months.
- Remained in critical leadership roles to ensure the execution of the transition and turnaround plan, resulting in the following year-to-date results:
- Same store sales growth of approximately 2.0% after being consistently down for 1.5 years under prior leadership.
- Margin growth of approximately 400 basis points. Consistent performance versus the turnaround plan to track to an EBITDA increase from $10.6MM to $13.4MM.
As interim CEO, our team led the negotiation of the $32MM acquisition of the Company from the restaurant group in 2018, with a multiple of approximately 3.0x. We led all aspects of the process, including due diligence, turnaround plan development, system and process optimization, transaction services agreement negotiation, and a post-acquisition leadership and plan / integration execution.