In 2009, Accordion set out to prove that there was a better way to work in finance – and more specifically, a better way to unlock value potential in private equity portfolio companies. In the years since, our firm has grown into a nationwide team of 260+ finance and technology professionals, serving the world’s leading private equity firms from nine offices and remote locations across the U.S. (Accordion’s headquarters are in New York, with offices in Boston, Charlotte, Chicago, Dallas, Detroit, Los Angeles, San Francisco, and South Florida.)
Working at the intersection of sponsors and management teams, Accordion partners with clients at every stage of the investment lifecycle to elevate the finance function. Our services span the Office of the CFO – providing hands-on, results-oriented execution and technology-enablement.
So, what does it mean to work at Accordion? It means thriving in a high-growth, agile, and entrepreneurial environment. It means changing the way private equity firms create value at their portfolio companies. And ultimately, it means making your mark on the firm’s future – by embracing a culture rooted in humility and a firm-wide commitment to building something great, together. Join us!
Financial Accounting & Advisory Services
With the increase in complexity of the business environment and transactions, CFOs of private equity-backed companies are increasingly being asked to drive strategic insights for their business. Finance organizations are no longer simply result reporters, but rather, they couple these results with forward-looking data to provide strategic insights which are leveraged to make business decisions. Efficiency of process and meaningful control environments allows for speed of financial reporting with increasingly accurate measures, leaving more time for the finance team to add future enterprise value, rather than look backwards.
Accordion’s FAAS Practice is comprised of a dedicated team that provides accounting and financial advice to support PE-backed portfolio companies on a wide range of transactions and events, including Accounting Policies & Procedures, ERP/Financial System Execution, Financial Statement Close Process, Process & Controls Implementation, Technical Accounting, Finance/Accounting Assessment & Design and Finance & Accounting Organization Standup resulting from a Carve-Out or Merger transaction. We are doers and problem solvers – making sense of complexity and bolstering sponsors’ value creation theses.
We are Headquartered in New York, however, this role can be based in any of our current locations.
What You'll Do
With your strong Technical Accounting background, you will partner with the Firm’s Financial Accounting Advisory Services team to serve clients in the areas of technical accounting matters, assistance in the implementation of new pronouncements, reviewing / interpreting complex transactions and financial reporting. With the adoption date for the new leases’ standard for private companies around the corner, you’ll be an in-house subject matter expert on the topic, working closely with our clients to both assess and implement the changes. Furthermore, your expertise is needed on IPO and SPAC-merger readiness transactions which continue to heat up – you’ll be leading work streams and creating real value for clients – a truly rewarding experience.
- You will play a pivotal role in developing and implementing our client’s technical accounting needs by:
- Performing impact assessment and in-depth analysis of implications of newly issued technical accounting pronouncements, in particular, the new leases and revenue recognition standards, including implementation of updated processes and development of disclosures
- Working closely with clients in the development and issuance of written technical accounting memorandums
- Developing technical requirements for financial reporting and operational system implementations
- Informing technical requirements for the preparation of financial statements, pro forma financial statements, and financial restatements typically in connection with acquisitions, carve-outs and proposed sale transactions
- Preparing and issuing financial statements and related footnote disclosures resulting from restatements, acquisitions, carve-outs, and divestments in line with US GAAP, and/or IFRS/local guidelines
- Execute on performance improvement and operational accounting initiatives where appropriate
- Display deep expertise in Technical Accounting (revenue recognition, stock compensation, consolidation, purchase accounting, debt/equity accounting, EPS, etc. are familiar topics)
- Research complex accounting topics under US GAAP, SEC and IFRS guidelines
- Analyze and implement newly issued accounting pronouncement and new/complex transactions, in particular, the new leases standard
- Monitor ongoing accounting pronouncements and developments issued by the FASB, IASB, and SEC
- Work with clients to identify and resolve significant accounting issues
- Draft and implement technical accounting policies in line with US GAAP, IFRS and IASB guidance
- Partner with clients on IFRS / US GAAP conversions
- Research and advise on complex components of a transaction (e.g. public company readiness, pro forma financial information, purchase accounting, carve-outs, consolidations, etc.).
- Establish and coordinate technical accounting training on various topics and present to key client stakeholders
- Assist clients on IPO and SPAC-merger readiness and transaction execution and ensure SEC reporting compliance including knowledge and experience in SOX compliance matters
- Work with client’s SEC reporting team to assist with the preparation and review of SEC filings, and assist with the research and preparation of responses to SEC comment letters and inquiries
Ideally, You Have:
- 5 -10+ years of professional experience working with technical accounting issues for both public and private companies (we are hiring at multiple levels)
- Experience implementing ASC 606 (revenue recognition) and ASC 842 (lease accounting)
- Highly developed technical accounting knowledge (US GAAP and IFRS) and research skills (purchase accounting experience is helpful)
- Extensive knowledge in SEC rules and reporting requirements
- A college degree in Accounting. CPA certification strongly preferred
Ideally, You Are
- Excited to be part of a growing team, with a focus on driving future growth
- Experienced in advising clients on financial accounting issues
- Knowledgeable of complex financial accounting and operations issues
- Passionate about delivering exceptional client service
- Experienced in advising clients on financial and transformation initiatives
- Knowledgeable about the relationship between Private Equity sponsors and their portfolio companies, particularly within the office of the CFO
- Willing to get your hands dirty in the details of a project while simultaneously seeing the whole picture
- Comfortable managing projects with multiple complex workstreams while also focused on your single workstream (you are managing and doing)
- A self-starter with a strong work ethic
- Full of entrepreneurial spirit and comfortable in a fluid, flat organization
- Able to effectively communicate complex issues and solutions, and raise issues to senior team members when necessary
- A team player, able to work with team members across all levels
- Someone who enjoys mentoring others and doing meaningful work
- A leader of others; you lead by example
- Willing to travel according to client needs
Accordion is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, marital status, age, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy, genetic information, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other status protected under federal, state, or local law.
Apply for this Job
In 2009, Accordion set out to prove that there was a better way to work in finance – and more specifically, a better way to unlock value potential in private equity portfolio companies. In the years since, our firm has grown into a bi-coastal team of 180+ finance and technology professionals, serving nearly 200 of the world’s leading private equity firms out of offices in New York, San Francisco, Los Angeles, Boston, North Carolina, Florida, and Dallas.
Our mission is to shape a new era in the private equity industry. Focusing exclusively on the office of the CFO of PE-backed companies, we’re committed to driving value creation through financial consulting services and portfolio operations technology.
So, what does it mean to work at Accordion? It means thriving in a high-growth, agile, and collaborative environment. It means changing the way private equity firms create value at their portfolio companies. And ultimately, it means making your mark on the firm’s future – by embracing a culture rooted in humility and a firm-wide commitment to building something great, together. Join us!