In 2009, Accordion set out to prove that there was a better way to work in finance – and more specifically, a better way to unlock value potential in private equity portfolio companies. In the years since, our firm has grown into a nationwide team of 350+ finance and technology professionals, serving the world’s leading private equity firms from ten offices and remote locations across the U.S. (Accordion’s headquarters are in New York, with offices in Atlanta, Boston, Charlotte, Chicago, Dallas, Detroit, Los Angeles, San Francisco, and South Florida.)
Working at the intersection of sponsors and management teams, Accordion partners with clients at every stage of the investment lifecycle to elevate the finance function. Our services span the Office of the CFO – providing hands-on, results-oriented execution and technology-enablement.
So, what does it mean to work at Accordion? It means thriving in a high-growth, agile, and entrepreneurial environment. It means changing the way private equity firms create value at their portfolio companies. And ultimately, it means making your mark on the firm’s future – by embracing a culture rooted in humility and a firm-wide commitment to building something great, together. Join us!
Financial Accounting & Advisory Services
With the increase in complexity of the business environment and transactions, CFOs of private equity-backed companies are increasingly being asked to drive strategic insights for their business. Finance organizations are no longer simply result reporters, but rather, they couple these results with forward-looking data to provide strategic insights which are leveraged to make business decisions. Efficiency of process and meaningful control environments allows for speed of financial reporting with increasingly accurate measures, leaving more time for the finance team to add future enterprise value, rather than look backwards.
Accordion’s FAAS Practice is comprised of a dedicated team that provides accounting and financial advice to support PE-backed portfolio companies on a wide range of transactions and events, including Accounting Policies & Procedures, ERP/Financial System Execution, Financial Statement Close Process, Process & Controls Implementation, Technical Accounting, Finance/Accounting Assessment & Design and Finance & Accounting Organization Standup resulting from a Carve-Out or Merger transaction. We are doers and problem solvers – making sense of complexity and bolstering sponsors’ value creation theses.
What You’ll Do:
We are looking for experienced Finance professionals (M&A, Private Equity, FP&A) to join Accordion's Project Based team. This is a contract role reporting to the Managing Director of the Financial Accounting & Advisory Services Practice.
We are Headquartered in New York; however, this role can be based in any of our current locations.
As a Project Based Consultant you will work on various client engagements to identify and rectify issues across a broad range of scenarios. You will be part of a cross-functional team, where you will work collaboratively with a diverse set of colleagues with backgrounds in Private Equity, Investment Banking, FP&A, Big 4 and Financial Controllers to:
- Work collaboratively with a diverse set of colleagues to serve clients in the areas of financial accounting matters and business processes:
- Prepare financial statements, typically in connection with acquisitions, carve-outs, proposed sale transactions, restatements, etc.
- Assist in the in the design and implementation of new accounting policies and procedures
- Assess and improve financial accounting close process; including accelerating and streamlining monthly and quarterly reporting processes
- Establish and document best-in-class financial and operational internal controls and/or assisting in controls remediation
- Assist with audit preparation
- Oversee and manage financial reporting and operational system implementations
- Assess and design finance and accounting organizational structure
- Bring deep financial accounting expertise and leading practices to engagements
- Manage multiple client engagements at the same time, ensure projects are on track, manage client expectations and perform course corrections when necessary
- Interact and build relationships with C-level personnel at portfolio company as well as representatives from Private Equity sponsors
Ideally, You Have:
- Minimum 10+ years of relevant professional experience working in a client serving role at a top-tier public accounting or financial advisory firm, and/or mix of client service and private industry experience at a senior level
- Proven experience successfully managing multiple projects at the same time, managing not only client/sponsor dynamics but internal team dynamics as well
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting or related field. CPA is a plus
- A strong and up-to date knowledge of US GAAP (exposure to IFRS is a plus), with deep technical understanding of topics such as ASC 606 revenue recognition, lease transactions, purchase accounting, etc.
- Experience preparing financial statements and drafting footnote disclosures. Experience with carve-outs and restatements is a plus
- Experience performing financial and operational internal control reviews
- Knowledge of performing IT assessments and financial system implementation experience is a plus
- Experience working with Private Equity, with an understanding of the unique requirements of the Private Equity consulting environment
- Strong Excel and PowerPoint skills
- Strong client service mindset
Ideally, You Are:
- Passionate about delivering exceptional client service
- Knowledgeable about the relationship between Private Equity sponsors and their portfolio companies, particularly within the office of the CFO
- Willing to get your hands dirty in the details of a project while simultaneously seeing the whole picture
- Comfortable managing projects with multiple complex workstreams while also focused on your single workstream (you are managing and doing).
- A self-starter with a strong work ethic
- Full of entrepreneurial spirit and comfortable in a fluid, flat organization
- Able to effectively communicate complex issues and solutions, and raise issues to senior team members when necessary
- A team player, able to work with team members across all levels
- Someone who enjoys mentoring others and doing meaningful work
- A leader of others; you lead by example
- Willing to travel according to client needs
Accordion is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, marital status, age, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy, genetic information, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other status protected under federal, state, or local law.
Apply for this Job
In 2009, Accordion set out to prove that there was a better way to work in finance – and more specifically, a better way to unlock value potential in private equity portfolio companies. In the years since, our firm has grown into a bi-coastal team of 180+ finance and technology professionals, serving nearly 200 of the world’s leading private equity firms out of offices in New York, San Francisco, Los Angeles, Boston, North Carolina, Florida, and Dallas.
Our mission is to shape a new era in the private equity industry. Focusing exclusively on the office of the CFO of PE-backed companies, we’re committed to driving value creation through financial consulting services and portfolio operations technology.
So, what does it mean to work at Accordion? It means thriving in a high-growth, agile, and collaborative environment. It means changing the way private equity firms create value at their portfolio companies. And ultimately, it means making your mark on the firm’s future – by embracing a culture rooted in humility and a firm-wide commitment to building something great, together. Join us!